Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A kind of English version

Yes, I know I should and I have to write in English as well. Being here, strangely enough, I turned up to really miss Portuguese because unlikely Detroit, here there are not Brazilians whatsoever. In other words, I miss my language, so sorry for that dear English-speaking friends.

In general my flight was all right but it got me really tired. More than 10h on the plane and lots and lots of waiting in the airports. At least I got to speak a lot of French at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, so I can start preparing for next semester, n'est pas?

Sheffield is beautiful. Everything here is quite English as one might think. All houses are made of bricks, there is a lot of tea, they are really punctual, and the weather does suck. Also, I am in one of the best cities to live in the UK, take a look; Sheffield is:

1. The greenest city in the UK
2. The safest big city in the UK
3. The cheapest city in the UK
4. And University of Sheffield has the best Union of Students in the UK!

=D Lucky me, huh?

I can't wait to start living here really. This week and the next are just Intro or Orientation weeks, which are actually being great. I've got to visit several parts of the city, I saw those beautiful University buildings and of course, I's having loads of fun with their cute accent. Mine, by the way, is in transit. I am saying some things in American (tough Detroit!) English, and some in cute Yorkshire English. I can say things sich as "Are you going the e..." (meaning "Are you going there?"); and 2 minutes later I say "Sheffield is a big cidi" (meaning city). Well, but that's part of travelling, you end up getting a world English, if I might say so. But I must confess I will try hard to get this British cute Yorkshire accent.

Today some said we should try to do at least 3 different things every week. I did my first one (at the first one on purpose) today. Stupidly, but happily, I've tasted my first Gingerbread Man today! I'd only seen that cookie in Xmas films and in Shrek 2, so it was exciting to eat such a myth!! =D

Shops here, by the way, are great. Lots of them, all kinds, all prices. Cafés and Restaurants as well. But I still have to explore the city a bit. Probably tomorrow that's what I'm gonna do. Also, I'll have the first meeting with my professors / advisers here. I'm really anxious about it, cause although I almost never remember it, I AM a Masters student and I DO have a thesis to write!!

Breakfast here's been a problem, though. These guys eat BEANS in the morning!!!! And eggs, and bacon, and all those things that I eat at lunch. But I think I'll get used to it, especially when I move to my own flat and get to eat other things for breakfast! Hehehe, just kidding. After all, I got used to American food, didn't I? ;-)

Well, that's it for now, I'll surely let you guys know everything that happens to me here. Tomorrwo we''l have this big city tour (with buses and tram included!), so I'm sure I'll have lots of things to talk about tomorrow!

By the way, aren't you gonna come and visit me? I have 1 month of Xmas break!!!!!!

xoxoxoxox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is great to know how you are doing! I was so anxious....
You will do fine over there...you are such a smart woman....
I miss you a lot!
XOXO