Thursday, October 18, 2007

Updates!


What I nice day I've just had!!

I have to tell you so many things!! I guess I'll start with Brussels, because going there was the best thing I did!

The trip was amazing for several reasons. First of all because the city is beautiful; it's the capital of Europe and it deals very well with the old and the new, and with several different cultures and languages. Even though you can hear basically any language when you walk in the streets, Brussels manages to still have an imagine; an image that composes the city as a whole, not as a fragmented place.

Second reason: I met the most amazing and different people there and everybody became instant friends! It's amazing how in such a short period of time some many people from such different backgrounds can get along so well.

However, maybe the most important thing about Brussels is the fact that it changed me. When I arrived in Sheffield I remembered last year here (crappy year!) and I was so down... The only I could think of what this horrible weather and how lonely I felt here before, even though I had great friends. Nevertheless, after going to Brussels and meeting so many nice people, I figured out that the best places are always where the nicest people are! So it hit me: Sheffield is not an easy city to like, but it's going to be amazing as long as meet those great people that I'm sure are around here somewhere. And this is exactly what I did today!

Today I invited two Brazilian friends I already knew (although they didn't know each other!) to have lunch together. But yesterday, we had lunch with a few of Karla's friends, so I invited one of them too, who also brought another friend!! Basically, in the end, we were five girls (three from Brazil and two from Saudi Arabia) having Brazilian-Mexican food and having so much fun that I felt like I've known them for ever! I love that feeling!

After lunch (around 15h!) we went out to buy our tickets for a day trip to Liverpool next week. Then, I met my Tandem partner! A Tandem partner is a person whose native language I want to learn... and who wants to learn my native language as well! My Tandem partner was born in Jersey, a British island between France and England. Basically, she's British (she has studied here all her life) with a French mother (French is her first language, together with English) and a Portuguese father. She's really nice too, so we had a great time this afternoon, alternating between French, Portuguese and English!

After two to three hours of conversation, Roberta shows up (another Brazilian from my program) and there we go, for two more hours of fun!! So far, Sheffield has seemed much more interesting than last time, especially because I am changed, and I'm trying to make it nicer! The only real problem I'm having here is studying! I can't find time for it! Hahaha! Anyway, I hope to set up a routine for me, so that I can have fun and also study, because this semester I have much more reading to do than last time, and more dissertation problems to worry about!

If you want to see my pictures from Brussels and also from the great gig by Incubus that my brother and I went to in the beginning of October, just click here and go to My Picasa Album! I guess I hardly mentioned the concert here, but it was so amazing! I love Incubus and the city (Bournemouth) is small, but really charming. Plus, the weather was great!

We have great plans for the weekend (starting tomorrow night) and they also include studying! =) I'll tell you all about it later!

Have fun!

***

Soundtrack: Ysuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens, remember him?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi Iza,

Vim ver como estao as coisas com vc! eSTOU COM SAUDADES!!!!!!!!!!

Adorei suas fotos!

Super beijos!